Constipation means –
– Infrequent bowel movements (typically three times or fewer per week),
– difficulty during defecation (straining during more than 25% of bowel movements or a subjective sensation of hard stools),
– the feeling of incomplete bowel evacuation.
Constipation is a symptom with many causes.
These causes are of two types – obstructed defecation and colonic slow transit (or hypomobility). About 50% of patients for constipation are obstructive defecation. This type of constipation has mechanical and functional causes. Causes of colonic slow transit constipation include diet, hormonal disorders such as hypothyroidism, side effects of medications, and rarely heavy metal toxicity.
Other symptoms related to constipation include bloating, distension, abdominal pain, headaches, recurrent mouth ulcers, a feeling of fatigue and nervous exhaustion, or a sense of incomplete emptying.
Because constipation is a symptom, not a disease, effective treatment of constipation may require first determining the cause.
Treatment – Treatments include –
– Changes in dietary habits,
– Herbal laxatives,
– Enemas ( Basti – Panchakarma Treatment ),
– Regular exercises, Yoga,
– In most patients as per Ayurveda ‘Agni Chikitsa’ prove to be effective in relieving Constipation.
Prevention – Preventive measures include –
Avoid Taking – Fast food, Bakery food, Fermented Items, Hotelling, Regular Fasts usually seen in Indian women, Day time sleep, Night time awakes, Spicy food, excess tea, alcohols, cold drinks, Non veg.
Increase intake Of – adequate quantity of water, Fibre diet & Regular exercises etc.